What Do We Believe?
A question every church has to answer is What Do We Believe? This question has to do with those things that help direct a congregation. Answering this question helps shape and guide a church’s beliefs. Our theology and spiritual practices are influenced and impacted by our answer. This question also helps us treasure and practice our doctrine, our covenant and our values.
HBC supports and abides by the Baptist Faith Message (1963 version) of the Southern Baptist Convention. Copies of this document are made available to every member and are located in the Church Office.
As a member of HBC and as a member of the larger body of Christians called The Church, I covenant with this church and other Christians to fulfill my commitment to God and to uphold the vision and mission of HBC. I WILL:
- Model my attitude and conduct according to the teachings of the New testament, and will seek the help of the Holy Spirit in being faithful and obedient to God in Christ. (Eph. 4:1-3)
- Practice the worship of God in daily life, daily devotions, in rendering justice, mercy and humility to God and to mankind, and in participating in the worship of God with others as so guided by this church. (Romans 12:1-3 and Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Study the biblical message for daily living for myself and with others through the programs/ministries of this church. (II Timothy 4:1-2)
- Participate in the Christian nurture of life unto all ages through regular presence and participation in the total educational ministry of the church. (I Cor. 4:1-2)
- Involve myself in the mission of the church through presence, Christian witness, positive affirmation and in service to all mankind and the total person, “even unto the ends of the earth.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Be a faithful contributor to the Kingdom’s work through this church in being a proportionate giver in tithes and offerings. I will support the annual budget of this church. (I Cor. 16:1-2)
- Pray regularly for the fellowship of this church and for my personal growth in Christian maturity and relationships, “especially to the household of faith.” (Eph. 3:14-21)
- In moving from this church, I will seek out and identify with another church in faithful membership for the cause of God’s kingdom. (Acts 2:42-47).
- Diligently uphold this covenant, with the help of God, and if not, make amends to personally and corporately fulfill this covenant in repentive recognition and public rededication. (Hebrews 12:5-11)
HBC believes in all values found in Scripture, but the following 10 Core Values are important to our church. They help reflect what we are passionate about, committed to, seek to implement and help guide us as we live out our vision and fulfill our mission together through the life and ministry of church. Love (Mt. 22:37-39), Faith (II Cor. 5:7), Unity (Eph. 4:3), Obedience (John 14:27), Grace (Romans 6:14), Joy (I Peter 1:8), Family (I Timothy 5:8), Friendship (John 15:15), Sacrifice (Luke 21:3-4) and Serving (John 13:14-17).